Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Saying goodbye to APES

Keystone XL Pipeline update (May 18th): Grassroots movements are rallying together to disapprove of the proposed Keystone pipeline. The group Bold Nebraska, established by Jane Kleeb, represents farmers opposed to the pipeline and TransCanada. It's exciting to see more citizens becoming vocal about their opinions, as they recognize the adverse effects that the pipeline will bring. 

APES: Yesterday, I had my last AP Environmental Science class of the year, on the last day of high school. It was emotional, because the class has guaranteed more than an education for me. The experiences that APES has provided, introducing me to my best friends and taking me to remote tropical islands, are incredible. I'm going to miss the class and Ms. Began so much. 

Our last assignment included writing a letter to a person of power, regarding an environmental issue we cared about. I wrote to the president of the college I'll be attending - Harvey Mudd - about divesting from fossil fuels. The letters are getting mailed today; I hope I receive a response! 

Here is an excerpt of my reflection of APES: 


Taking AP Environmental Science has been such an enlightening experience. It’s one of the only classes that focuses on issues beyond the individual, applicable to real life. Our generation has so many environmental challenges to tackle, before climate change drowns San Francisco and poor waste management leaves half the world sick and destitute. While it’s easy to be discouraged by the intense work that lies ahead, this class has taught us that there are solutions. We have the opportunity to fix problems and we need to take it.

“We shall never achieve harmony with the land, anymore than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.” Aldo Leopold


No comments:

Post a Comment